High ms - playing from the USA

Anything and everything!
Abaya
Class: Holy Knight
Town: Temoz

High ms - playing from the USA

Post by Abaya »

Hello GM's,

I am playing from USA and constantly getting higher ms. Is there any suggestions to reduce my latency? Attached is the screenie from my cmd line
highms.png
highms.png (11.13 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
Have no Fear When Abaya is Here
Pishogue
Class: Mage

Re: High ms - playing from the USA

Post by Pishogue »

Wow, where do I start? First, let me say that your telecom provider is doing you a disservice by telling you to expect a 294ms round trip. The provider might be able to engineer a ping from its US Point of Presence (POP) to its Indian POP and record a 294ms latency (ask the provider about the packet size it uses in its tests), but you have practically no chance of seeing that low of a round-trip latency between your local and remote routers—especially considering the other traffic that will be traveling across that circuit. You're more likely to see a latency of anywhere from 294ms to 399ms, depending on the remote home or office's location (India is a big country), the Indian telecom provider, the path taken from the United States to India and, most important, circuit availability.
Part of the reason for the high latency is that no direct underwater fiber cables connect the United States and India. More than likely, you'll be connecting through Japan, the Philippines, and Singapore (and possibly a few other locations) before you even reach the coast of India. So, in short, you have gravity working against you.
Also keep in mind that the telecom provider that the remote office uses can make a big difference with regard to performance and reliability. Many times, the choice of providers isn't something over which you have any control. However, find out as much as you can about the remote provider's capabilities so that you know what to expect.
Good luck

Regards
Anurag Bampal
Abaya

Post by Abaya »

Thanks for the reply.

Let me address the elephant in the room. It is my expectation that players from the USA will see higher latency due to the distance between origin and destination. So I’m not surprised that I’m seeing 280+ ms in-game. This has nothing to do with my service provider.

“no direct underwater fiber cables connect the United States and India”
True, but the company I work for has laid down cables undersea and provides ms latency to our customers all over the world. Mainly when you watch YouTube, the content gets cached for the first time to your nearby CDN and the subsequent requests are served from the local CDN and not from the main server.

As an alternative way, you could just use a VPN tunnel to connect to your local VPN server then to the destination server directly without needing to go through multiple hoops.

The reason why I opened this thread is actually two folds,

International players will see high latency due to the distance. Is there any alternative solution to reduce the latency? Like connecting through VPN? <- GM’s recommendations
People can stop calling me for 1:1 and wars. Guys with this latency, I can barely move seamlessly.
Have no Fear When Abaya is Here
Johnnyblaze

Post by Johnnyblaze »

I am facing the same issue by playing from the US(West coast).

If somebody has a solution that would make me ^lag^ less, that would be amazing.
I have tried using a VPN, but the best result i see is from 293 to 279, which doesn't make much of a difference.

Any help is appreciated.
Pishogue
Class: Mage

Post by Pishogue »

A thing GMs can do is make the server I'm North America.
Which you have to ask him for this to happen.
Multi region architecture.