Guide to avoid being hacked -- Updated:02/10/2006

Heres where to look out for some of the advanced guides etc...
We'll keep updating them as soon as we can.
Xeaon

Guide to avoid being hacked -- Updated:02/10/2006

Post by Xeaon »

Since early phases of game, i noticed hacking is a plague affecting the a3 community. Lots of people have put there efforts to give tips on how to prevent getting hacked. I will try to consolidate and then put few more tips out there. Plz dont spam or flame this thread, post only if you have something constructive to say. And dont report hackers or abusers under this thread or name any hacker, proved or otherwise , in this thread, for sake of preventing flaming.

-------------------------------------------
Last edited by Xeaon on Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Xeaon

Post by Xeaon »

Get one thing into your collective thick skulls-

YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO SHARE ACCOUNTS OR PASSWORDS!!

What is this, some sort of *censored* hippie commune with free loving and sharing?
You share accounts-someone steals it by changing the password-it's YOUR fault. Entirely.

Tell me, why don't you also share your netbanking password while you're at it? After all it becomes easier for ur friends to transfer cash, doesn't it? Or how about sharing your hotmail/yahoo/gmail passwords.

AS LONG AS PPL GO ON SHARING CHARACTERS LIKE INFECTED AIDS NEEDLES HACKING AND CHARACTER STEALING WILL CONTINUE. BE A RESPONSIBLE PLAYER, AND PLAY YOUR OWN CHAR!!

Courtesy:REXDUDE
Xeaon

Post by Xeaon »

He said he plays from a cafe-so the only other thing could be-either someone saw him typing password-or installed a keylogger of some sort.
The second type of problem is hard to defend against. Online virus scans detect em, but there are many stealth keyloggers available that snoop every keybeing pressed. S
Those of you who run cybercafes-I know at least 2 who do-simply make sure all game pcs are logged on with non adminstrator privilege accounts. A restricted account wil prevent ppl from installing arbitrary software, or any low level keyloggers like these.

And the rest of you-all I can say is be careful. Complain to the ppl running your gamedrome or whatever abt these things, and ask em to clean and scan PCs. Or, if possible try playing from home instead.

Once again : REXDUDE
Xeaon

Post by Xeaon »

Well coming to the next point..I'll tell u guys how to be safe if u r playing from a cyber cafe or a Webworld or any other insecure place.

Go to the change password page...Where it asks old pass and asks u to set a new pass...Well just type ur pass in the old pass block..
And in the new password block.. copy paste something from the page and edit 2 or 3 alphabets and remember it..

Open A3 ..type ur id and copy paste it..
Its kinda freaky and time taking at takes cuz cafes have the shittiest systems as of now..But neways better than losing the character..

U guys must hav figured out till now...I was hacked 3 times ..
So I had to figure out a way to play safe from cafes..

And yea change ur pass.regularly or atleast 2 3 times a week..

Thanks to Mr.DARKSOUL
Xeaon

Post by Xeaon »

I keep hearing ppl coming and saying some dude(mostly adeus, or GM-lookalike) is taking ur password etc.

arre if u give ur id password its not called hacking.

1) If u guys use a straightforward character based password, its not difficult to crack it using Brute Force..even Dictionary method.
Try to use alphanumeric password.
I havent seen if its allowed, but the best bet would be a mixed alpha-numeric-exotic password combo!!!

gaha123!

is an example!!! This combo will take brute force method 2 ^ 128 years to crack.(the world would've come to end by then )

2) If u are playing in a cybercafe, try to take some precautionss while entering passwords. Specifically, its VEEEEEEEEERRRY EASY to get everything you have typed using a KEYLOGGER. These TSR(terminate-but-stay-resident) programs are 16KB in size and u can get them within 5mins of googling.
This alert goes out to 100% of those players who play frm cyber cafes. Most proably the criminal is a friend or some1 whom ur getting acquainted to in ur marathon playing sessions in the cafe.
Once you start typing on the keyboard, ALL UR KEYSTROKES are logged into a text file which the hacker(/friend?) needs to read and VOILA, ur username (easy..sify id) and the next 4-16 characters are ur password. Its THAT easy.

The best way to get rid of key loggers is 2 run an antivirus(99% get caught). The remaining 1% gets caught using online scanners. Run a scan from http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
or
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/defa ... &venid=sym

to scan ur pc from online. The Symantec Site gives u a nice online Security check alongside online virus scanning. BOTH are brilliant tools, use them without fail!!!!!

Finally, press ctr-alt-delete to open up dialog box. Go to task manager->select processes tab. If u see any suspicious looking process running(they mite gainem.exe etc). close it. Mostly, many process run using names similar to windows processes.
For example,
a legit process is svchost.exe(DONT TOUCH IT!!!)
a TROJAN/Keylogger mite be scvhost.exe!!!!!! (CLOSE IT!!! )

Hope this helps!!!!

Courtesy : Alador
Xeaon

Post by Xeaon »

And my own,

1.Even if you are into sharing of accounts, dont share with more than 1 person at any given point of time. This should not be construed as if sharing of account is legal (dont tell me what i did :P )

2.The hacker most often is someone around you only, hiding in between ur friends. Keep a separate storage account and keep all your extra items, and wz in that storage account, and let your friends (which will also include those hackers you know as friends) know about it. In effect it gives a lesser incentive to hack a account if one knows that it hardly have any valuable items in it. Moreover even if you are hacked you can get your caracter back but its very unlikely that you will get your items back. So if you have kept evrything in storage id, it makes it easier to restart.

3.While creating accounts make sure that your game id is entirely different from your caracter name. And yes make a absolutely new id to post in forums, if you want to.

4.Beware of fake guides or GMs asking for your ids. If u give your id or password to anyone called gudelulu then .... well u r a mental case or u need a eye operation. Remember guides/gms never initiates a dialouge with any players unless they approach them. And no guide or gm will ever ask for your password.

5.While filling up your profile info make sure that u give a email service which is relatively unknown in india. Yahoo in particular have been known to be buggy in its log outs. NEVER use yahoo/msn/rediff/indiatimes emails as your alternate email ids in the sify profile.

6.In case you are hacked, report the case to guides, and make sure u bug them, coz otherwise they will not tell you what to do (my personal experience lol ). Remember your items, your stats, your last drops, your last crafting details, coz when you will report the hacking of your caracter, you will have to give these info as proofs that it was infact your id. Your last drops and last crafting plays a decicive role and can make a difference of getting your id back or not.
Xeaon

Post by Xeaon »

8.If someone ever tells u gives u a file or program saying that will do wonders..... BEWARE. A file which he gives u to get 100 % crafting success may be a msn password logger. So never use such third party programs for getting extra benefit in game.
Last edited by Xeaon on Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willkill

Post by Willkill »

aah..... nicely done IC... shud help us
Blizzardwar

Post by Blizzardwar »

ahh.... good post. But i hve a problem. I gave my ID and pass to my frnd(dont wanna name him here) just bcos he told he'll try mage for sme time(IC, i think u know my old char Gautammage). And tht guy it to his
frnd and now tht guy says its not ur id its mine now !!!!!!!!!!!! i cudnt even refuse giving my id then bcos the person who asked was elder to me and was my frnd. :( :( :( If u hve any suggestions for this plz oblige.

and btw he changed the secret question and birth date.....
Eos
Class: N/A
Town: N/A

Post by Eos »

well u made the mistake of giving it out in the first place.
IGN: Eos
IGC:Quanatian G8 bow archer
KH: Phunkeym0nkeyz (owned)